Cheap Ways to Practice Self-Care
I'm a great believer that the biggest pleasures in life are free....the smell of the air just before a thunderstorm on a hot summer day, the first sip of your morning coffee, the feeling of clean sheets, the warmth of the sun on your face or the sound of someone you love laughing....the list goes on! The practice of yoga helps us to become more aware of those little things in life which make it so special, helping us to find pleasure and happiness in the every day.
If you've been paying attention recently, self-care is a big topic. In today's connected and fast-paced world of instant answers, working all-hours and time-zones and hilarious animal videos and memes online, it's easy to look outside of our immediate vicinity to find happiness. You then get sucked into the idea that you can only be really happy if you can afford this holiday, or that gym membership or these new trainers/jeans/make-up items.
In reality, self-care can be super cheap, if not free, if we tune back into the simple pleasures which make life as a human so special!
I've listed my top cheap ways to practice self-care...maybe you have some more ideas of your own you could try?
- Make a fresh coffee/tea/your favourite drink, find a quiet spot and drink it while reading a book...without your phone near by!
- Go for a walk in nature
- Stretch/work-out/do yoga
- Find or make a feel-good playlist and sing/dance along to it! Even better....hit play as soon as your alarm goes off and wake up to your favourite tunes!
- Call your mum/dad/sister/brother/best friend/grandparents or anyone else you love or haven't spoken to in a while
- Make a list of all the things you're grateful for in your life, or make a list of all the things you love, or that you're good at, or that you enjoy doing - remind yourself how great life is!
- Have a clear out of your wardrobe or any clutter lying around your house. Sell it or donate it to a good cause.
- Get home and leave the TV off, have a health dinner, take a bath or shower and get into bed with fresh sheets and PJs...the best!!!
- Buy yourself some flowers or your favourite sweet treat
- Enjoy a long breakfast on a weekend morning without your phone near by or the TV on.
- Write down one thing you want to change in your life and 3 steps to achieving that change...start working towards it!
- Go somewhere new....a new part of town, a new restaurant or art gallery for example
- Create....paint something, play some music, sing, write a poem, do some DIY....
- Watch your favourite movie with your favourite people, get in snacks and drinks, lay-out blankets and cushions on the floor and cosy up!
- Have an evening picnic on a summer's evening....lay on the grass and watch the sunset
- Do something you've been putting off
- Drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit and veg!
- Say no to things you really don't want to do
- Be present
Want more like this? Become a member and receive exclusive content, tailored to your interested straight into your inbox on a monthly basis! Plus member-only discounts and competitions! www.yougodoyoga.com/newsletter